Sunday 25 April 2021

Peach-Tinted.


Dress - vintage St Michael's via Vinted
Top - charity shop
Bag - charity shop
Shoes - Buffalo
Hat - charity shop
Necklace - charity shop
Earrings - old New Look



The charity shops have reopened and I could cry happy tears.

Whoever classed second-hand retail as non-essential, did not consider how they are as intrinsic to my personality as dancing in the middle of supermarket aisles and having comically dramatic arguments with my parents over petty family matters such as my not letting anyone else have a go with the washing machine (but "snooze you lose!" when it comes to me getting my laundry done I'm afraid). The much anticipated Monday 12th was not really a day of sparkling activity in my respect, although I am sure everyone who did not have work had an excellent time delighting in the freshly bestowed freedoms. After a day behind a counter full of longing for rails of one-person's-trash-is-another-person's-treasure, Tuesday 13th saw all my dreams happily come true.

As we transitioned into step 2 of goodbye lockdown (fingers crossed!), I could not help noticing it invoked within me a mixture of excitement, relief, worry, and guilt. Of course, life becoming more 'normal' again is indisputably desirable, however less desirable are the feelings of anxiety that may be triggered by the stress of having to adapt to new societal expectations: change is very often scary. Definitely do not compare yourself to anyone else; it is a great idea to think about anything you are specifically concerned or fearful about so you can put coping mechanisms in place that are personally beneficial to you. Search "post-lockdown anxiety" online for suggestions on how to manage the issues thrown up by this strange situation, and sending love and positive vibes because you are not alone.

So, following my last post where I styled a nightie for the daylight hours, I have decided to continue the trend with this dreamy number. A steal from Vinted (I snapped up two nightdresses for only £15 including delivery), the following confession is hardly surprising: I am ever so slightly addicted to buying vintage nightwear. There's something about 100% nylon, the chintzy embellishments and reminiscence of retro romance which is difficult to resist. I adore the fallen floral design; gently cascading blooms puddling around your feet as if walking on petal-strewn ground. The empire waist is distinctly Regency, and yet I felt as if I had wandered into an Impressionist painting with the dappled lighting, backdrop of blossom trees and daffodil peppered grasses.

Layered beneath my nightgown, a sweet little knitted top, genuine vintage and a purchase from my first-time-in-forever charity shop crawl. The peachy pastel shade a perfect match for the ribbon adorning the front of the dress (and the beaded necklace I have artistically employed to garnish my hat - an inspired move I was rather pleased with). To accessorise: a flowery raffia tote bag, even the orange lining fabric coordinating with the rest of the outfit, and chunky trainers to create a necessary juxtaposition between quaint and cool. I chose jewellery with transparency, acrylic hoop earrings and a necklace of glass encasing tiny pressed flowers, to reflect the ethereal mood of a floor-length silhouette hazily glowing in the afternoon sun. My mum asked me whether I would go to the supermarket dressed like this, to which I naturally replied yes.

Cheers to shivering in pub gardens in the unpredictable British weather (although it has been optimistically sunny this last week, my winter coats are going nowhere); hurrah for unprosecuted picnicking with friends, drinking takeout coffees; and thank goodness for the return of thrift shopping without the use of an app. In all this, stay safe and take care - of your headspace as much as physically.

Love Emily
xxx























♫ Now Playing ♫
[Mystery]
Ralph Castelli, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it means so much!