Sunday 30 May 2021

Love and Hugs.


Blouse - vintage fair
Trousers - charity shop
Shoes - old Primark
Bag - charity shop
Earrings - old Primark
Necklace - charity shop



Virtual hugs!
(Because real ones are now permitted aw)

As I write this, the sun has finally made its long-awaited reappearance after what feels like an eternity of rain and gloom. The April showers clearly did not get the memo we had transitioned to May. I had thought there would never again be sun-kissed afternoons or a day where I could survive outside without several layers and a pair of gloves (I have cold hands okay! You can find me pathetically bundled in faux fur coats for nearly all twelve months of the year). I suppose it is slightly ironic, just as we are allowed to venture once more indoors, the outside beckons with delightful cream tea weather. There is definitely a strangeness to occupying the tables that have sat empty for so many months – I have become so used to walking past windows framing sad scenes of forbidden seating whilst being confined to drinking a takeout coffee on a chilly, unwelcoming bench. 

In my previous post, I talked about the post-lockdown anxiety which can linger round these positive but often emotionally charged changes; normal situations have become sometimes unfamiliar, and it is important to mentally adjust in your own time. We have reached the end of another month and with it, a great moment to check in on your headspace and maybe reflect on any daily struggles. How are you feeling right now?

There is still a lot of uncertainty around the next stage of restrictions lifting, so perhaps the best advice is to try living as much in the present as possible. Personally, I often find myself getting weighed down by future worries when there are actually small actions I could take much sooner to alleviate the stress. Adding something enjoyable for yourself into your everyday routine actually makes such a difference! I have recently begun reading regularly again and it is comfortingly satisfying to be curled up somewhere cosy, eagerly turning pages to reach that final chapter. I have just finished The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford, a novel which has the power to make you laugh out loud (surely the best kind of book!) and I have so appreciated taking twenty minutes or so during my morning or evening to just focus on something that is not beyond my control. 

You may be able to tell from the print that this blouse is vintage St Michael, those classic retro florals are unmistakable to any kitsch-y secondhand fashion lover. Tied at the front to create a cropped silhouette – spring is in full bloom and my midriff fancied some exposure. I love the rounded dagger collar and delicate romance of the softly sheer sleeves, and the pink within the print is perfectly matched with the statement corduroy wide leg trousers. High-waisted of course for that dream seventies vibe, these cords were a recent charity shop find. If the fit looks questionable, it is because they did undergo some [confidently haphazard haha] alterations (I added elastic to the waist to size them down, and took in the sides for a straight leg shape and to remove some of the excess fabric). I have been really enjoying looking for items with potential that just need a few basic, achievable-in-an-afternoon adjustments.

The obvious footwear choice had to be constructed in pink glitter plastic. After trying on a number of 1970s-style boots and square-toe slingbacks, frivolity and fun seemed to eclipse more sensible options. Diamanté jewellery continues the tacky sparkle the jelly shoes started; simple gold pieces would have worked equally well, but my inner disco babe/Y2K princess would not have been fairly represented. The raffia bag has an adorable pink gingham lining to tie in with the candyfloss colour palette, and is just one of a large collection of jaunty straw bags (they are so easy to source from charity shops and I love the aesthetic for warmer days).

With June already upon us, it is pleasant to note the sunny optimism of gradual improvement – I honestly can hardly believe how quickly the time has gone. Sending love and hugs (and the recommendation to read something funny!), it is never long before the future is your present.

Love Emily
xxx
























♫ Now Playing ♫
[Close To You]
Dayglow, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it means so much!